This calzone has everything you want in a bite: a crunchy crust and a flavorful filling that pairs absolutely perfectly with it.
Enjoy this for lunch, as a light dinner with a salad, or as an add-on to your favorite meal.
This savory pie has a specific name in Bari, my city: calzone! Every family has its recipes: with onions instead of leeks, with or without anchovies, with some cherry tomatoes, or sometimes even with ricotta.
This is the version we usually do at home.
Add 200 g of all-purpose flour and 200 g of durum wheat flour to a bowl
Add 70 ml of extra virgin olive oil, 200 ml of water and ½ tbsp of salt
Mix all the ingredients with a spoon until combined and crumbly. Knead the dough by hand, adding a little more water if the dough is dry
Knead the dough on a clean working surface until smooth. Moisten it with more water if needed. Form a ball
Place the dough in an airtight container and cover it. Let it rest for at least 30m to hydrate before using it
Trim and thinly slice 1 large leek
Roughly chop 1 cup of pitted black olives
Add 2 tsp of olive oil and ¼ cup of anchovies to a frying pan over medium heat. Cook until they break down
Add the leeks in an even layer in the pan
Add the black olives. Cook until the leeks have softened, stirring periodically. Let it cool down slightly
Preheat the oven to 200 °C
Transfer the dough to a clean surface and dust with flour. Divide it in two parts—one that is about 60% of the total and the other the remaining 40%
Roll out the larger piece of dough with a rolling pin into a 35 cm wide circle
Brush the inside of a 26 cm diameter springform cake pan with olive oil
Center the dough in the pan and press it against the bottom and the sides
Puncture the bottom with a fork all around. Fill with the cooked leek mixture
Dust the remaining dough with flour and roll out to a 26 cm wide circle
Cover the filling with the dough and lightly press it down
Roll the edges inward to close the calzone
Brush generously with olive oil. Puncture the surface with a fork
Bake for 45m until golden brown on all sides. The leek calzone is ready
Enjoy! It's great both hot or at room temperature!
Yield 4 portions
Pitted Black Olive1 cup
Olive Oil2 tsp
Olive Oilto brush
All-Purpose Flourto dust
Durum Wheat Flour200 g
All-Purpose Flour200 g
Extra Virgin Olive Oil70 ml
Springform Cake Pan